Direct Mail: The Little Engine That Could
Direct mail is a viable option because with a 79% open rate, and an approximately 4% response rate
So what’s all the fuss about direct mail? As far as you were concerned, direct mail was dead. However, tweets, articles, the activities of other businesses and your own mail box, tell you otherwise. Radio and television have generally been the domain of national brands with big advertising budgets. Even with local options, radio and television advertising can get expensive. Social media has provided businesses with many and varied opportunities. However social media works when companies have a following, or are skilled in acquiring and retaining followers – and not just any followers, many of them even buy likes on Instagram to gain popularity. There is no point in boasting of thousands of followers if they have no impact on your bottom-line. Most of all, a successful foray into social media is dependent on the ability to provide good content regularly. How are you reaching your customers?
Direct mail is a viable option because with a 79% open rate, and an approximately 4% response rate, the final cost per sale makes it a worthwhile investment. You know exactly who is receiving your message; and with effective targeting you are better able to reach those most likely to respond.
Don’t Be Overwhelmed
You hear about ROI, A/B market testing, integrating software, and web-savvy users. Many people react to pitches about direct mail programs as if they expect to set off a nuclear reaction if they dared to venture anywhere near the system. It is easier than you think. All you need is artwork, and a mailing list. You can upload artwork, design it using free online templates, or pay to have a custom design. You can provide a mailing list, generate one online or have a company generate one for you.
With the push of a button, your campaign is on its way. Apart from the ability to control the process, one major advantage of using a direct mail program is the cost savings. You do the work, so you save where a company would normally process your order, proof your artwork and provide mailing services.
Do what works for you. You must have confidence not only in the outcome of your campaign, but also in the mechanisms used to generate that campaign.
- Get automated and integrated, and tap into the full potential of direct mail software. Good programs include options for mail tracking, campaign testing, and generating reports for campaign analysis; or
- Maybe you are not ready to take advantage of the more advanced features that some direct mail programs offer. You are still able to use basic features and still enjoy premium pricing; or
- Let your direct mail provider handle your mailing and even your design process. You just place your order and they do all the work.
You maximize the success of your direct mail postcard by smart targeting, creating eye-catching designs, providing relevant content, and occasionally personalizing messages.
Why You Should Give Direct Mail a Chance
- 52.4% of U.S. consumers read direct mail from retailers. (Direct Marketing Association, 2011)
- Consumers continue to prefer direct mail for receiving marketing messages from brands. (Epsilon’s Consumer Channel Preference Study)
- 60% of U.S. consumers “enjoy getting postal mail from brands about new products.” (Epsilon)
You maximize the success of your direct mail postcard by smart targeting, creating eye-catching designs, providing relevant content, and occasionally personalizing messages. Regardless of advances in online advertising, direct mail is still alive and kicking. Many businesses are finding success with direct mail and for some, it is the only way to go. Call 866-571-311, or visit our websites: DirectMailManager.com; RealtyPostcard.com; or PostcardServices.com, and see how our direct mail programs can work for you.